Sunday, January 18, 2009

Osaka Castle

Last Monday we drove into Osaka to see another local tourist attraction, Osaka Castle. It happened to be a particularly cold day (OK, I know those of you in Iowa are laughing). This was one of the first historical type things that we have done.

The castle was originally built in 1583. From what I could tell it had burnt down several times so I am not exactly sure when some of the structures that we visited we built. This included bombing by the allies during WW2.

The inside of the castle was interesting, but I was more intrigued by the surrounding grounds - moat, gardens, etc. The grounds are over 15 acres. We definitely need to go back in the Spring with the trees are in bloom. It must be very beautiful.

You may also note that I said we visited on Monday. I had the day off work - it was another Japanese National holiday (they have many). This time it was "Coming of Age Day". It is the second Monday in January and marks the occasion when young Japanese turn the age of consent - which is 20 here. The kids get all decked out, and many spend a night drinking to celebrate the occasion. Cities, towns and villages hold special celebrations which the new adults attend dressed in their best, the men in suits and the women in kimono called "furisode". For those of you familiar with Iowa City I think it is the Japanese (and much higher class) equivalent of One Eyed Jakes on your 21st birthday.

No comments: