Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Kobe Beef

It seems like we end up writing about food quite a bit, but oh well. We plan to eat our way around Japan. Last weekend we had a friend of ours from New York in Town. He stayed the weekend and we got to hang out on Friday and Saturday night. It was really good to catch up.

Friday night we laid low. We got takeout food from a bar/restaurant nearby and brought it up to the apartment. We pretty much just hung out on the deck, had a couple beers, and ate a nice meal.

On Saturday I brought my friend into Kobe for the day. We stopped at one of my favorite place - it is an electronics store, like a Best Buy or Circuit City. I can spend all day in one of those places (nerd alert).

Saturday night was dinner at a Kobe beef restaurant. The place was great. We each ordered from a course menu. Tracy had a seafood and sirloin. My friend and I had an all beef set. We shared a table with another Japanese couple who seemed to be looking at us and smirking a lot. I have no idea what they were saying. There was one chef at the table who cooked everything for us - so you got a little entertainment.

This was one of Tracy's - it is a Prawn, a really big Prawn. The guy served it up whole - eyeballs and legs included. Tracy did a good job of eating the good stuff out but didn't touch the legs or eyeballs. After few minutes of letting it sit on her plate the chef took it off her plate and threw it back on the drill. He then carefully trimmed off the legs and gave it back to her. I am sure he was thinking "eat it you squeamish American". She obliged. I think that was her first eyeball in Japan

Note the bibs. I don't know why we needed them, but everyone else was wearing them.

My friend and I outside the restaurant on the street.

Another home run meal for us.

No comments: