We had another great night our Saturday. I am trying to pick a different cooking style every time we go out. This week was one of my favorites, Shabu-Shabu. I have had it in Tokyo a few times and have been dying to try it here with Kobe beef. They did not disappoint. I swear one of these types of restaurants would be a bit hit in the States.
Some friends of ours joined us, and we took the train back into Sannomiya. We went to a really cool restaurant that was downstairs on some side street. You would probably never find it unless you were looking for it. Luckily I had a recommendation from someone at our front desk.
The place seemed pretty traditional. We had to remove our shoes going in, the place was decorated very "old school" Japanese, and we sat on little mats around a table. The slippers they gave us were funny - myself and the other guy got these special green ones (big American feet). I am sure they consider them to be clown shoes and take great pleasure in making us wear them.
We sat around the table with the cooking pot in the center. The women serving us were all Kimono clad and spoke little or no English. Between the four of us we know enough Japanese to at least order a meal and some beers, so no problems there.
Dinner was fantastic and we also had one of the most unusual/interesting experiences when getting ready to leave the restaurant. I wont write about it here, but please ask Tracy or I when you talk to us next. It makes for a good story!
No comments:
Post a Comment